Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

ROADS! AND RANDOM CONVERSATIONS ON THEM!

think..think...think...thank you very much. 


I love road trips.  All who know me know this.  I love conversations on a road trip.  And I love silent interludes on road trips.  OBX, Nov. 2010, road trip conversation:
     Me:  Do you think there will be road trips in Heaven? 
     He:  Dunno.
Silent Interlude.
     He:  But I can promise you there will be no detours.
I love it when he promises me stuff.
Quiet hum of tires rolling.
     Me:  (Pondering driving down golden streets, hearing angels in the distance singing).
A dip in the road snaps me back to him and Nora Jones.  Golden sunlight glistens through the sunroof.
Heaven Can Wait, Mr. Beatty.


I love roads.  I love quotes about roads.  I love to look at pictures of roads and take pictures of roads.  Dirt roads, I like (even in a black car) because they often lead to obscure places.  City roads (more commonly called streets), I like because they often lead to excitement, a bustling source of entertainment, a dismission from loneliness,  museums, plays, or shopping...and lots and lots of lights.  Country roads (take me home), I cannot say enough about those.  Even bumpy, dippy, pothole roads....they keep your senses keen, slowing you to a pace you probably should be going in the first place.  Freeways, my least favorite, but they can take us faster, farther...so they serve their purpose well. 
I love Rocky Road ice cream.  And grooving up slowly....with joo joo eyeballs.




Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuwalt.


Loch Lomond is the largest loch/lake in Great Britain, by surface area. 


Chorus from The Bonnie Banks o' Loch Lomond


Oh! Ye'll take the high road, and I'll take the low road,
And I'll be in Scotland afore ye,
But me and my true love will never meet again,
On the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond.

The original author is unknown. One story is that the song was written by a Scottish soldier who awaited death in enemy captivity; in his final letter home, he wrote this song, portraying his home and how much he would miss it. Another tale is that during the1745 Rebellion a soldier on his way back to Scotland during the 1745-6 retreat from England wrote this song. The "low road" is a reference to the Celtic belief that if someone died away from his homeland then the fairies would provide a route of this name for his soul to return home.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P687O8JiDpU

and then there is the poem:
      The Road Not Taken.....Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,


And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.  






So as for me and roads...there are roads that lead to somewhere.  There are roads that lead to anywhere and unfortunately we have all experienced a road, now and again, that led to nowhere.  Then....there are the roads, the very special roads connecting memories to possibilities, possibilities to expectations.  These are the roads I label:  THE ROADS THAT LEAD TO EVERYWHERE....


and then there's walking.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYxWXPKU7jY

No comments:

Post a Comment