Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Coo-clueless! Hatteras/Ocracoke Ferry


on the ferry, in the car -- you don't get much closer than this -- except for the time we sat in our bathtub coddled in blankets & pillows during the 1994 Easter Day tornadoes parading through the county like a woman run amok in Salem Town, MA, 1692.  -- but that was long ago and far away. 


On the ferry, i am reclined in the passenger seat staring at the sky through the sunroof.  When i lower my eyes to bifocal status, i see the sea, choppy waves.  My best friend is leaning forward hugging his steering wheel looking off in the distance over the sea to the island waiting beyond. 
I think:  Funny how i look into the sea and sky and he looks over the sea just under the sky. 
...We meet... 
I tell him, "I can't imagine being with someone i could not be myself with.  I feel so secure that i am me totally, how comfortable that feels." 
I'm thinking he's like my fave ole shoe or coat or glove that my heart refuses to let go of or ever forget. 
I tell him, "i love the fact that i have never felt the need to be anything other than myself with you, never felt the need to hide me from you." 
The chops slosh against the stained sides of the ferry, the netting blows steadily in front.
Realizing the one thing I have kept from him, I start, "Except for maybe one thing." 
He says, "What?"
I say, "The enormity of my love for you.  I have hidden that." 
Puzzled, he says, "What the h#*l is that?" 
We both laugh. 
He continues, "You don't have to hide it 'cause i don't even know what it is." 
I guess it was a be-there moment, but we both laughed so hard we almost cried. 
In a bit, the car fell silent except for the sunroof's grasp on the wind, waves of sea and the classical cello coming from his ipod. 
Time passes and he quietly (as always) says, "You know for just a little bit I'm afraid you would be too uppity for me.  Just a step up, you would be looking down your nose at my ignorance." 
I say nothing knowing, yep, the enormity is hidden because little does he know the privilege I know it is to be with him. 




YES, MR. TAYLOR, WE ARE "IN BETWEEN WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN AND WHAT HAS COME TO PASS"...


Sweet Baby James, "sometimes love is just a word I've heard when things are being said"...and it sounds nice. 

I think the pooch was laughing too, not sure with us or at us?
 I know for sure he was smiling....he smiled at me:-)
OUR AWESOME HITCHHIKERS!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment